The famously mischievous Leprechaun is one of Irish folklore’s most famous mythical characters. Leprechauns have been part of movies for a while now. Some movies were amazing, while others weren’t. There are, however, certain facts about these movies that the most ardent Leprechaun fan would have missed.
The Leprechaun – A Little History
The legend of the Leprechaun has long been a fan-favourite piece of Irish folklore. As members of the fairy family, they are typically considered part of another well-known folktale. Legends about these teeny-tiny water-dwellers initially appeared among the Celts somewhere in the eighth century.
As they are just two to three feet tall, it seems that their name comes from the term “luchorpán” which means little body. Where do these little people call home? They often live in small caverns under the earth or within hollow tree trunks to avoid being discovered by people.
The Leprechaun in Movies – Forget Friendly
Leprechauns have been featured in various movies. The most famous is The Leprechaun horror-comedy series that consists of eight parts. Although the initial two instalments weren’t as successful, the movie series has a huge cult following.
It was in the 3rd part that people got an idea of what an Irish casino looks like, and that’s the trend that’s now prominent with Irish online casino themes. Here are also some interesting unknown facts about the Leprechaun movie:
- In the film, George Lucas received special gratitude. This is due to the fact that he still had Warwick Davis’ contract.
- The film was initially unsuccessful, and Warwick Davis started to regret it. However, due to Aniston’s success on television, people began renting this movie.
- This was Jennifer Aniston’s debut film.
- Warwick Davis is British and not Irish.
- The first movie had a budget of just under $1 million.
The complete list of the most famous Leprechaun movies are:
- Leprechaun – Released in January 1993
- Leprechaun 2 – Released April 1994
- Leprechaun 3 – Released June 1995
- Leprechaun 4: In Space – Released February 1997
- Leprechaun: In the Hood – Released March 2000
- Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood – Released December 2003
- Leprechaun: Origins – Released August 2014
- Leprechaun Returns – Released December 2018
Top O’ the Morning – Find the Pot of Gold
Leprechauns have seen a lot of popularity over the years, mainly because they are really interesting creatures. Small, green, and greedy, they are going to do anything to keep their gold safe. One of the most popular things is the “Pot of Gold and the end of the rainbow” which has appeared in different movies and games.
The Luck of the Irish
In this movie, Kyle, played by Ryan Merriman, has a gold coin that brings him a lot of luck. Everything went wrong after it was stolen from him, and things became even worse when the thief turned into his true form, that of a Leprechaun.
Darby O’Gill and the Little People
This is a 1959 Disney production, where Darby O’Gill and his daughter, Katie live in a small town in Ireland.
One day, Darby was fired from his job and begged his old boss to not tell his daughter, and because of that, he gets captured by the tribe’s king, Brian Connors.
The modern leprechaun tale has developed, and gained popularity, due to many depictions of the creature in the media, ranging from the happy chap on cereal boxes to the sinister types seen in movies. Still, they can’t help but trace their ancestry back to the Emerald Isle, where many tourists want to experience a little of the same enchantment. Many people like dressing up as fairies on or around St. Patrick’s Day, but finding them is an excellent pastime any time of the year.